i've scanned, ripped, collated, etc. cds from several purchases over the last few months, but i forgot to note the cds i bought at the half price books on westheimer out past beltway 8 a few weeks ago. so i went through the stack and tried to separate what i've already mentioned from what i haven't. here we go:
- aphex twin - richard d. james album (sire / warp / elektra / warner)
- assemblage23 - binary ep (metropolis)
- bjork - drawing restraint 9 - surrounded (one little indian / rhino / warner)
- david byrne - the forest (luaka bop / sire / warner)
- david byrne - live from austin Tx (new west)
- calexico - carried to dust (city slang / quarterstick)
- the chemical brothers - come with us (astralwerks / virgin)
- cute is what we aim for - the same old blood rush with a new touch (fueled by raman)
- dieselboy - project human (human imprint / system)
- dj dara - the antidote (breakbeat science)
- moby - i like to score - music from films vol 1 (elektra / warner)
- mortal - nu-en-jin (tooth & nail)
- the revolting cocks - cocked and loaded (13th planet / megaforce)
- she wants revenge - she wants revenge (flawless / geffen)
- sixpence none the richer - sixpence none the richer (squint)
i was stepping a bit outside of my normal purchases, picking up some stuff i'd thought about but never done, taking a few chances on some unknowns.
i think i also forgot to mention that a while back i picked up (on ebay, i think...or maybe it was on amazon) one of the last devo recordings i've been trying to get:
- devo - pioneers who got scalped: the anthology (rhino / warner)
in other news, i managed to borrow a t-mobile sim from someone at work today and used it to unlock my razr. it appears to have worked. i have also spent some time trying to figure out if there was any way i could use my google voice phone number to get cheap or free calls from taiwan back to the u.s. i couldn't figure anything out.
this evening i watched my life, which i had rented for 99 cents from itunes. it has tom hanks and nicole kidman in it as husband and wife. nicole is pregnant and tom is going to die from cancer. he decides to make a recording for his child so the child will know who his father was, and in the process tom learns about himself and deals with stuff from his past. blahblahblah. it was okay. the movie didn't seem to move very smoothly, particularly in the beginning -- the story just felt sort of stilted and forced at times. it also got a little too into the (imo, shallow) fascination some americans have with eastern / mystical spiritualism and healing. but whatever, it had some good things to say and point out too. i took a chance on it, and it turned out to be fair.